Woburn, MA dentists address misalignment and malocclusion with Invisalign
There was a time when Invisalign was considered a suitable treatment for cosmetic straightening only. This amazing technology has evolved into a clear, comfortable solution for a wide range of orthodontic issues. The dentists at Four Corners Dental Care in Woburn, MA share this insight.
What’s the difference?
Misalignment refers to the straightness and spacing of teeth, often in the context of appearance. Examples of “crooked teeth” include:
- Crowding – When teeth are large or the bony arch is small (or both), teeth get pushed tightly together and overlap.
- Twisting – Teeth that are partially edgewise, rather than facing front are often an inherited trait.
- Shifting – Teeth that tilt to one side, or are not in the proper place in the arch are usually the result of too much space.
Malocclusion or “poor bite” is the relationship of the teeth in the upper and lower arch when your mouth is closed:
- Overjet (overbite) – Protruding front teeth.
- Underbite – Bottom teeth stick out farther than uppers.
- Open bite – Upper and lower incisors do not touch when jaws are closed.
- Crossbite – Upper teeth come to the inside of lower teeth when the mouth is closed. This can occur at the front or back of the mouth.
These two concepts bear a strong relationship. Misalignment can be the result of bad bite, and crooked teeth may affect bite. Fortunately, both issues can usually be addressed with the Invisalign straightening system.
Invisalign is a series of transparent aligner trays. They gently reposition teeth with low force, improving appearance, function, and bite. Aligners are removable, so you eat normally and keep your mouth fresh and clean.
Invisalign isn’t right for every case, but those who are good candidates are typically thrilled with results. Call Four Corners Dental Care in Woburn, MA at (781) 315-4456 to schedule an evaluation.
Back to Orthodontics Home Page