Local dentist in Woburn, MA explains the process for dental implants
One of the advantages of seeing your local dentist regularly is becoming familiar with the faces and environment. When issues occur or you need additional care, your dentist knows your history and you know and trust your dental team. Located in Woburn, MA, Dr. Moutevelis and the team at Four Corners Dental Care work hard to give patients healthy smiles. If tooth loss occurs, dental implants are an option to restore the smile and health of the jawbone.
Dental implants mimic a tooth root.
Often made of titanium, implants are cylinders that are inserted into the jawbone. They replace missing teeth and provide stability to dental restorations such as crowns or dentures. Aesthetic and functional needs are fulfilled. Benefits of dental implants include the following:
- A single tooth or multiple teeth may be replaced with dental implants.
- Because they are placed into the gums and bone, implants do not just replace the visible tooth. They give security and stability not found in other dental restorations.
- Without a tooth or root in place, the bone deteriorates. Dental implants mimic the tooth root to maintain the health of the jawbone.
- The functions of the mouth change with tooth loss. WIth an implant, functions such as eating and speaking are restored.
- An implant topped with a crown improves the appearance of the smile.
The dental implant process
The process from start to finish takes several months depending upon the complexity of the case. Dental implants require healthy bone to support the implant. Some patients may require bone grafting first to prepare the mouth for implants. Once the mouth is deemed ready, the implant is surgically inserted into the jawbone. The bone and gums usually heal within a few months. Once healed, the abutment and restoration are placed. The end result is a healthy, beautiful smile.
Consider dental implants to restore the health and appearance of your smile. Contact Four Corners Dental Care for your appointment today. (781) 315-4456