Techniques and materials for conventional orthodontic braces are continually evolving. However, the Invisalign system is gaining incredible popularity. These transparent aligners are barely noticeable, and they are removable, so patients eat normally, and keep their smiles sparkling clean. Dr. George Moutevelis of Four Corners Dental Care in Woburn, MA gives this advice for keeping your mouth fresh and clear orthodontics in good shape.
- Enjoy looking terrific while you straighten!
- Remove and rinse aligners before eating anything.
- Place aligner in the storage case provided.
- Brush teeth after eating and floss at bedtime.
- Clean aligners with clear hand soap and a soft toothbrush, morning and evening.
- Periodically give aligners a sanitizing soak, using Invisalign crystals, denture cleanser, or retainer cleaner.
- Wear aligners at least 20 hours a day (22 is better!).
- Notice your progress. With Invisalign, you can see transformation occurring.
- Keep your Invisalign checkup appointments, and maintain regular hygiene visits.
Don’t do that
- Don’t drink anything besides plain water while wearing aligners. Colored beverages may stain the plastic, and hot drinks could warp aligners.
- Do not wrap aligners in a napkin while you eat – they may get thrown in the trash or laundry!
- Chewing gum or eating with aligners inserted will damage them.
- Don’t use toothpaste or a stiff toothbrush to clean aligners. You will scratch the plastic, dulling transparency and leaving grooves that collect bacteria and odor.
- Avoid tinted hand soap for cleaning – it stains.
There is a lot to love about clear orthodontics. Today’s Invisalign can correct many cosmetic issues and complex alignment problems. At Four Corners Dental Care in Woburn, orthodontic treatment is as unique as your smile. Dr. Moutevelis is trained and experienced in determining which technique is most appropriate. Call [phone] to schedule a consultation and find out if Invisalign is right for you.